This was my first ever attempt at making risotto, thanks to my lovely friend Bella. We made this on a lazy Sunday to complement our day full of homework. The pumpkin + the broth + the rice + the veggies all together makes for the ultimate comfort food. Highly recommend that you try this one soon – we’re all at home, either way!
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice (looks like this)
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp sage (chopped or dried is fine)
- Using a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Let it simmer on medium-low while you make the remainder of the risotto.
- Heat a large deep flying pan (skillet style) over medium heat on the stove. Add the olive oil, then the onions. Sautéed them until they become golden brown. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Then, add the garlic to the mix.
- Stir the rice into the pan of oil. Then, pour about a cup of broth into the mix. Keep the rest simmering. Cook until the rice had fully absorbed the broth, then add another cup or so of broth. Repeat this process until the broth was totally absorbed. The entire process should take from 20-30 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the pumpkin, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Once fully mixed, pour into bowls. Top with sage.
The original recipe can be found here!