I get it. You woke up late, you have class in 20 minutes, and 15 of those are dedicated to your skincare routine. Breakfast is not happening today. So, what do you grab before you head out the door? A Pop Tart? A banana? Nope – a granola bar. But if you’re dairy free, this takes extra thought. Are granola bars dairy free?
The short answer is: sometimes. I have a few favorites that taste great and are packed with the nutrients you need to have a killer day. Let me know if you have any to add to the list!
- Nature’s Valley: Remember those green packaged bars that manage to get everything in their sight covered in little crumbs? Yeah, you know the ones. News flash: they’re dairy free. An added bonus is their relative blandness – they taste awesome if you break them into chunks and add to vanilla coconut yogurt. Top off with some fresh fruit and you’ve got a parfait.
- KIND Bars: *Disclaimer: Not all KIND bars are dairy free. You MUST read the label; non negotiable. However, here are my favorite dairy free flavors: Dark Chocolate Nuts and Sea Salt, Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew + Antioxidants, and Dark Chocolate Almond and Coconut. You may be noticing a theme here…
- LUNA Bars: *Disclaimer: Not all LUNA bars are dairy free, either. However, the two most important and delicious flavors are: Coconut and S’mores. Yes, they have a S’mores bar. Run to your nearest grocery store ASAP.
- Nutri-Grain: I ate a strawberry Nutri-Grain bar every day for my entire middle school experience. I haven’t picked one up since for obvious reasons, but they are dairy free. And hey, if I can eat the same thing for approximately 1,095 days, you can probably give it a go.
- PRO BAR Base: 20g of plant-based protein is a huge deal all on its own, let alone a great flavor. I spent a week hiking and camping on the Appalachian Trail last year and lived off of these bars and fruit while the rest of my group snacked on cheese. They’re found at Whole Foods and Amazon, and are totally worth the purchase.
- RXBAR: My favorite RXBAR is the Mint Chocolate flavor, but they’re all pretty good. With 12g of non-dairy protein + super transparent ingredients, these bars are the perfect on-the-go snack. It’s important to be able to pronounce all of the ingredients in your food. Ignore my sugar addiction for a moment, please.